Monday, June 18, 2012

Growing Up.



Ive been praying for him...a lot. I want him to grow to love the Lord and have a relationship with him instead of just knowing church as a normal place we visited during his childhood. I want more for him. I want him to grasp every verse, and wear it as a necklace around his heart. I want the life of Jesus to be his greatest example and I want him to know that no matter what happens in his life he can always lean on the Lord. And I want him to do it, to always lean on the Lord. I know that a mans relationship with God is different from a woman. They are less emotional and so it takes them longer to grow a closeness with God. Im believing that God is bigger than a mans heart, and praying that he will develop a relationship at a young age and grow more in it it all the days of his life.

Recently I have been seeing changes in his life and walk. He is growing. Not only physically( I cant keep up with his long legs!) But his heart is changing. Small things, like the other day I was bringing in groceries in the pouring rain and he shows up right beside me all on his own to carry in groceries.
The other day I broke my favorite glass butter dish all over the kitchen floor and there he was right beside me looking for glass on the floor to pick up, all on his own.
At that moment I took a sigh of relief because I was so proud of him for taking his own initiative in helping me. I am by myself a lot with my husbands work schedule, so depending on men to do things is not something I have ever gotten use to. I know this is not natural for all men, and sadly he doesnt have many examples of men in his life that are natural, "unasked" helpers. So this was something he learned on his own and was obedient to listen to his heart when it told him to go to the rescue of Mom. Even though he knows I am very capable of doing it all by myself, there he was by my side. I hesitated in thanking him in the way I really wanted to ( because many motherly emotions were flowing through my heart at that moment) because I didnt want to make a big deal and embarress him. I knew I needed to let him know I was noticing. So I looked at him sternly in the face and said "Jon, thank you for the way you have been helping me lately, you have been such a great help for me with things, and I am really proud of you for doing things without me even having to ask you" End of conversation. He had a huge smile and said "Your'e welcome". Hes been doing great things like this ever since.
I recently read the book called "Thats my Son, How Moms can influence boys to become men of character". By Rick Johnson. (AWESOME book) In his book he said that quick and simple words with boys always works best and makes the biggest impact.

This past weekend he went on his first missions trip with his youth class at church. His youth leaders are amazing and they have set up Mission types of things for the kids to do throughout the summer to keep them serving. On Saturday they went to the Whosoever Gospel mission over in P.A and ate with and entertained homeless men who were in this rehabilitation center. We also had a birthday BBQ to go to on Saturday with some of his favorite people there , but when he left in the morning he knew that even though he wanted to go to the BBQ more, that being at the rehabilitation center was the best thing to do. When he got home late that evening we layed in his bed and talked about what he had experienced that day. I knew this was all new for my very well protected boy who has never truly experienced the ghetto, doesnt know what a drug addict or alcoholic is or even ever really saw a homeless person. I could see the bafflement in his face when he got home, but his questions were few and he had an understanding in knowing that he may have changed the life of a hurting man that day. My husband and I were so proud of him.
When I saw that he was growing weary and had no more to share ( even though I had sooo many more questions) we opened his History book ( his favorite thing to read before bed) and read about Russian Communism. LOL, it was quite disturbing to me to read about it all before bed, but I could feel the excitement in his bones as he said "Please Mom, just one more chapter"!

I love him to pieces! Yesterday when we were driving to dinner for fathers day Pete was telling the kids about how he was weary about going out to Hibachi because he may have to socialize. We all laughed, and inside I cringed a bit because our Pastor had just talked about that part of loving the church means loving the people in it. You cant love the church without loving the people in it. So shortly after my cringe Jon blurts out "Mom, I love people" (big sigh of relief on my part) . It was a great opportunity to talk about how its easy to love the easily lovable people but how God challenges us to love the people who are not so lovable. I can only pray he always thinks that way!
I love seeing him grow and watching the Lord work in his life. I know all moments won't always be like this with my son, but for now Im basting in this Joy that can only come from our Lord! Glory to God in the highest!!
~Anna


No comments: